History

1914: A small group of Christian Scientists began offering Sunday services in a home in downtown Raleigh.  By 1917, the group had been recognized by The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Boston, Massachusetts, as a Society.

1923: The society was granted recognition as the first Christian Science branch church in Raleigh by The Mother Church. The Raleigh church held Sunday and Thanksgiving services and Wednesday evening testimony meetings and provided a Sunday School and Reading Room.

1925:  Two years after its formation, the Raleigh church purchased the lot where our branch stands today.

1931:  The church building was completed in 1931, and the congregation held its first Sunday service Sept. 6, 1931.

 

 

Christian Science Reading Room in downtown Raleigh, NC

The Church’s Reading Room

Prior to 1975:  The Reading Room leased its space in downtown office buildings and hotels.  In 1975, the church purchased the building and lot at 201 Fayetteville Street as a permanent location for the Reading Room.

1988: Due to the deteriorating condition of the building on Fayetteville Street, the church demolished the structure and built the one that now houses our Reading Room.

1989:  In April the Reading Room moved into its new space.

1990: This year, the architect firm that designed the Reading Room, Bohm NBBJ, received two awards for its work:  (1) the Merit Award for Design by the North Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, and (2) the Sir Walter Award for Community Appearance – Commercial Category.